On 9/13/11 12:49 PM, "Bryan Burke" <bbu...@eecs.utk.edu> wrote:

>> I don't know the frequency, but it was enough of a problem for him to
>> complain...three times before I brought it up here.
>
> So is this issue specifically with ClamXav? i.e. is ClamXav forcing an update
> each time it's run?

No, the option to check updates at launch defaults to off, but this
particular user prefers to have the most recent updates available when
running manual checks, so he has toggled the option on.

> I know that the regular clamav does not do this, and if that's the
> product in
> question, my point still seems valid: aren't we crying over spilled milk here?
> I mean, it
> would seem that the user's desired case/functionality is unreasonable, and as
> a result,
> that asking the ClamAV team to do anything about it is also unreasonable.
>
> If the issue is, however, with ClamXav, then this isn't the correct mailing
> list to be having this discussion, correct?

Correct and it has been extensively discussed on the ClamXav Forum long
before I brought it here.  He has tried all the suggestions we made and
still feels like he's wasting a log of time.  If one user isn't enough to
justify making any changes, fair enough, but I firmly believe we have a
systemic problem that affects all US users here that needs to be resolved.

>> That's not a user option with ClamXav, although I realize it could be done
>> by hacking the LaunchAgent (formerly cron) event.  I will probably recommend
>> to Mark that he include multiple updates as a user preference one of these
>> days, but there are a couple of other features I'd like to see first.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> - Supporting users half way around the world
>
> Don't see a problem with this.

Not under normal circumstances, but from the Traceroutes I and others have
done there does seem to be a significant delay in the Trans Atlantic
segment.  If that's what's causing the failure to connects, then maybe we
need to take a look at the viability of where we go for off-shore mirrors.

>> - Which always seems to be the first one checked
>
> Actual issue. Perhaps DNS caching is a factor? If freshclam checks often
> enough, then
> perhaps the cache entry never dies, and you get the same order every time?

Interesting thought.

>> - And has never successfully connected for over two weeks
>
> Other than an announcement to the list that there may be problems with one of
> the mirrors,
> this seems to be an issue primarily between those users who encountered said
> error (and
> caused them distress) and the mirror admins, not the whole list. However,
> maybe I'm wrong
> and many readers of the list appreciate seeing the back-and-forth.

I'm more than willing to take this off-line if someone can give me a list of
everybody that needs to be part of the discussion.

> P.S. - My goal is to try to limit the scope of this thread a little more, so
> it stays
> focused and relevant. As a side-line user on this list, I feel it had long
> since gotten
> out-of-hand.

-Al-

--