On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 05:57:24PM -0400, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 1:58 PM, Henrik K wrote:
> >
> > Guys, I'm not talking about some home or office ISP lines. I'm
> > talking about rented dedicated servers that have huge bandwidth by
> > contract.
>
> OK, but what the rest of us are talking about is taking load off the
> global clamav mirror infrastructure.
> Particularly the US section.

And I'm not?? But a da*n US server and host a mirror. Even as a individual
if you like.

> > Depending on where you live
>
> Because it is our section of the infrastructure that is having issues.
> Please read the thread title.

Even I can buy some US servers if I want.  There are lots of providers to
choose from.

> > or want the servers to be located, they can be cheap or amazingly
> > cheap.
> >

> I don't care where the servers are as long as I can get the current DBs.
>
> Rehash
> 1. The Clamav Project needs more capacity especially in the US zone.
> 2. Many of us have gone to a local mirror configuration to use as little
> of the capacity as possible.
> 3. The Clamav Project still needs more capacity.
> 4. Many of us would step up to the plate and provide this capacity if it
> were within our ability to do so.

If you are an individual not able to put $15-$100 a month, then yes, it's not
in your capability.

> 5. Barring that we are asking about torrent because we would step up to
> the plate and provide what is within our ability to provide.
>
> I could easily provide 20MB of transfer a month initially and maybe
> more.  However 5TB / month is definitely out of the question.

No one thinks any less of you for trying to help, on the contrary. But if
you can't even get any facts straight etc, it's just messing up the thread.

Let's not forget that ClamAV is backed by a commercial organization?? If
they wanted US bandwidth badly, they can get it.  If not by buying, then
probably just by asking around or even on the web page?  Why do you think
it's not mentioned there.  Probably very few users read this list.