On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:41:14PM -0400, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 11:05 AM, Dan wrote:

> >> First of all, I think this whole thread is overreacting. I seriously
> >> doubt the mirror capacity is at maximum.
> >
> > Noone has suggested "maximum".  The issue is that the mirrors are so
> > overloaded that it's often taking freshclam an excessive amount of time
> > to do its thing, because of the time-outs / connection failures. No big
> > deal if it's the update run in the background.  But if it's on-demand
> > update preceding a user-driven scan, it's making the user sit there,
> > twiddling its thumbs, for up to a minute or two.
> >
> > Luca's response to the problem is that more mirror capacity is needed.
> > Hence the discussion of alternatives...
> >
> >> Anyways, 5TB comes at 2MB/s average, which is not that much. I can do it
> >> with my $15 OVH/Kimsufi box and so do probably thousands of others.
> >
> > Perhaps, where you live.  Here, in the good'ole USofA, if I set up a
> > server to feed 170 GB/day, my ISP would shut me down and bill me big.
> >
> HERE HERE!
>
> My ISP is pretty cool about letting users do what they want. However, if
> I started moving 170GB / day they would definitely be chasing me down to
> have a chat.
> :-)
>
> When they start offering inexpensive 10Mbit links to the net, a mirror
> would be an option, but not right now.

Guys, I'm not talking about some home or office ISP lines. I'm talking about
rented dedicated servers that have huge bandwidth by contract. Why do you
make pointless arguments? Depending on where you live or want the servers
to be located, they can be cheap or amazingly cheap.

And Dan, please familiarize yourself first on how torrents work.