Hi there,

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, infelectromed.mtz@... wrote:

I have install clamav 0.96.5 from my ubuntu 10.04 repository but I
want to upgrade to 0.97.5, I download the tar.gz file to my /home/user
folder and do this:

1. Unpack the file
2. Cd to clamav directory
3. Run ./configure
4. Run make

Good so far.

Now I want to uninstall the old clamav but I no idea of what packs, I
have install: clamav, clamav-base, clamav-daemon, clamav-freshclam,
libclamav6 and libtommath. I would keep one or more of this packs for
eg libclamav6, to install the new version o I have to uninstall all of
them????

All of them.  I don't use Ubuntu, but I believe that Ubuntu uses the
same packaging system as Debian, and for a Debian system I would use
for each package:

apt-get remove package
apt-get purge package

make install

But I never got a valid instalation, when I tried to invoke clamd

Please describe any messages that you saw when you did 'make install'
and how you tried to invoke clamd.  I suspect that you inadvertently
tried to use some of the old software, possibly startup scripts in
/etc/init.d or something like that.

I got an error related with libclamav or something like that,

"or something like that" is not adequate.  Please give the exact
commands which you used and the exact error messages.  You can use the
'script' command before you run anything else (such as compilations
and installations), A record of everything that is written to the
screen, including everything that you type, will be saved in a file so
that you can review it later.  Type 'exit' to quit the shell which is
saving the session so that you can view the record.  You can then copy
and paste interesting parts of the record to a mailing list. :)

anybody have a tuto or manual that help me with this issues???

You could look in /var/cache/apt/archives for the .deb files which
contain the packages that you mentioned.  You can use the command

dpkg --info packagefile.deb

to get useful information about them and

dpkg-deb --contents packagefile.deb

to get a list of the files, most of which you can probably just delete.
Rather than deleting them it might be safe to move them somewhere where
the system won't find them and make them unreadable with chmod a-rwx. :)

It is unrealistic to expect people to produce manuals or tutorials for
every permutation of users' whim.  You need to learn about the systems,
learn about the packages, learn about their installation, learn about
their operation and learn about how they must be maintained.  Yes, it's
learn, learn, learn, learn, learn.  Sorry.  At least you have learned
now how much work the package maintainers are doing for you. :)

--

73,
Ged.