On 8/27/2012 08:17, infelectromed....@infomed.sld.cu wrote:
I have install clamav 0.96.5 from my ubuntu 10.04 repository but I want to
upgrade to 0.97.5

Your problem is not unique as I had the same problem for months with Debian Lenny.
Attempts to upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze (with a test machine) ended in disaster. ;(
Anyway, with Debian Lenny, I didn't have to uninstall any Debian packages and if I did I
would loose the files in /etc/init.d/clamav-*. The key for me is to figure out where to
put all the clamav-0.97.x.tar.gz files so that Debian Lenny can find them. Luckily,
Debian Lenny is fairly "Linux Standard Base" complaint:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base As an example, in Debian Lenny,
clamd.conf is in /etc/clamav/; but the tar.gz with ./configure would place the said file
in /usr/src/.... With that in mind, here is how I did it (and copied from my earlier
post, quote):

To solve the problem (as root) My bad! I know!

1. Make sure you have zlib-devl, gcc and make (I use gcc-4.3):
# aptitude -y install zlib1g-dev gcc-4.3 make

2. Download the latest (July 2012) stable source:
# cd /usr/src && wget
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clamav/files/clamav/0.97.5/clamav-0.97.5.tar.gz

3. Decompress:
# cd /usr/src && tar xvzf clamav-0.97.5.tar.gz

4. Complie with make
# cd /usr/src/clamav-0.97.5 && ./configure –sysconfdir=/etc/clamav –exec_prefix=/usr &&
make && make install

5. Once complete:
# /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon restart

Please note: the key to a successful install in Debian is in No. 4 above by
telling ./configure with the correct sys-config-directory and exec_prefix. Good
luck please report back if the above procedure works with ubuntu 10.04?
That’s it! Cheers!
Kwon