I ran it on dozens of enterprise systems, real and virtual, under RHEL and Oracle Linux. As a mail scanner running on demand it was never a great issue regarding performance as they were dedicated servers. But we found that when scanning file systems for compliance it would thrash the disk cache and Oracle performance would suffer. The thrashing would happen because the scans would crawl seldom and never accessed files which bumped active files out of cache. There are moderating options available in Oracle to mediate this.

I used to run it on older Sparc systems and noticed that compared to x86 Solaris and Linux the Sparc systems to several minutes longer to refresh the signatures following an update. This was moderated the only way possible by lowering the update rate and running it off hours when off hours existed. I've not run it on contemporary Sparc systems. It would rail a bound proc during the refresh.

dp