Some considerations:
- the longest “delay” will occur when reloading signature databases. If
reducing the delay is important, run multiple instances with smaller signatures
in each. ESPECIALLY, if you’re going to writing your own story signatures or
using databases that change often.

- scanning speed will be limited most by filesystem access speed. If you
schedule scans, limit the slow file systems to off hours or only scan them
occasionally.

- on memory-constrained systems separating the signature sets is even more
important so that you can limit the memory usage in addition to the reload
speed.

- where possible, have clamd running and use clamdscan instead of spawning
clamscan processed for each scan.

- depending on the workloads, it might be more efficient to run ClamAV running
everywhere with a certain set of signatures and run a single system for
specific targeted scans using larger signature sets (such as a mailserver or
ftp server).

- proftpd has pretty good integration with ClamAV as a plug-in for upload
scanning.

Maarten

Sent from a tiny keyboard