David Daney wrote:
So, given these things and my love for this project, I would really like the FSF to allow the developers to provide Classpath under an Apache compatible license in addition to the current licensing scheme, at least

I would support that idea. However, I don't think we require the FSF's
permission. We are the authors of Classpath and therefore retain
copyright privledges.

IANAL, but I could swear that I signed over copyright to the FSF long ago.

IANAL either .. but I think you "assigned copyright" to them, meaning you
gave them the right to copyright. This has no effect on your own right to
the copyright of your own work. Ie, you did "cp self fsf", not "mv self fsf".
But since IANAL and TINLA [1], I should probably just shut up for now :-)

-Archie

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IANAL