Dalibor Topic wrote:
On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:20:02AM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
Harmony appears to be basically an attempt at a hostile takeover of the
Free Java movement.  They're all in favor of cooperation - as long as
it is 100% on their terms.  Complete surrender is all they will accept.

I am sorry if I gave that impression, since that's not the way I
experienced it. My impression was that the ASF simply has certain ways
to do things, and does not want to change those, since their way
basically works fine for them, and they don't think GNU Classpath is
worth changing their ways of doing things, as apparently, that's all
very tedious and so on.

I wouldn't want to imply malice, where buerocratic inertia is a
sufficient explanation.

I used "hostile takeover" in the sense of a corporate takeover.
Malice is usually not involved - just an unwillingness to negotiate
with the old management and board.  That seems to be descriptive.

I think it goes beyond bureaucratic inertia.  You agree that they seem to
have no interest in co-operating with the rest of the Free Software
movement, unless it is done on their terms.  Rather like the attitude
of the current US government to the rest of the world ...

And of course there is the Orwellian name "Harmony" - reminds you
of Ministry of Peace, doesn't it?
--
        --Per Bothner
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://per.bothner.com/