On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 12:20:02AM -0800, Per Bothner wrote:
> Dalibor Topic wrote:
> >The only way GNU Classpath would be acceptable for Apache Harmony, afaict
> >from
> >our dicussions in the past year, would be if the FSF contributed it to the
> >ASF,
> >and had the ASF manage the project, under the Apache license. Anything
> >else is
> >non-option for ASF, for a variety of reasons.
>
> Harmony appears to be basically an attempt at a hostile takeover of the
> Free Java movement.  They're all in favor of cooperation - as long as
> it is 100% on their terms.  Complete surrender is all they will accept.
>
> I hope I'm wrong, but nothing I've heard suggests otherwise.

I am sorry if I gave that impression, since that's not the way I
experienced it. My impression was that the ASF simply has certain ways
to do things, and does not want to change those, since their way
basically works fine for them, and they don't think GNU Classpath is
worth changing their ways of doing things, as apparently, that's all
very tedious and so on.

I wouldn't want to imply malice, where buerocratic inertia is a
sufficient explanation.

cheers,
dalibor topic