Carsten> I'm new around here and was looking for a spot where I could make a
Carsten> contribution. Browsing the japi test results I noticed that a lot of
Carsten> SerialVersionUID missmatches are reported. Fixing these appears to be
Carsten> quite simple, so I'll start with that unless there a some pitfalls
Carsten> (maybe of the nasty legal type) involved ?

Most of the mismatches occur in Swing... but Swing is explicitly
documented upstream as not really being serializable.  You're only
supposed to serialize Swing objects if you know that they will be
deserialized on a VM running the same version.  So, we generally
haven't bothered with these.

I don't really know what we should do long term.  Maybe fixing these
to be compatible is best.  However it isn't sufficient to add the
serialVersionUID, you need to also make sure that the serialized
forms are the same.  Usually this involves renaming fields and
marking some transient.

There are some other mismatches in external code.  I filed bug reports
upstream but haven't gotten an answer.  At some point I think we ought
to just go ahead and fix these, with a local patch.

Tom