On Sunday 07 December 2008 07:11, Peter Wolf wrote:
> I'm a n00b, but isn't the point of this language to be *faster* than
> Java?... at least on a multiprocessor machine.

I don't think performance is a particular criterion for the design of
this language. It's not unimportant, but the quality of the code it
engenders, especially w.r.t. to concurrency and the difficulty of
writing correct code using conventional thread-aware mechanisms,
_is_ a key design goal.

> Shouldn't the number of processors on the test machine make a big
> difference to how fast it runs?  Whereas, the Java version is only
> dependent on the clock rate of the individual processors.

Only for algorithms that are both parallelizable and which have actually
been written in parallel form. There is not yet (and may never be) any
ability to automatically parallelize arbitrary algorithms or code.

> What happens if we run this benchmark on a nice 4 core core machine?

And nothing else is running? One core will be used for the thread
running this code. Another will do any I/O, though in this case there
is virtually none, and another will do GC.

This test is a sequential algorithm. I'm not familiar with the Alioth
benchmarks / shootout, but maybe there are some parallel tests in
there.

Randall Schulz