On Dec 7, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Peter Wolf wrote:

> Shouldn't the number of processors on the test machine make a big
> difference to how fast it runs?  Whereas, the Java version is only
> dependent on the clock rate of the individual processors.

Replacing the "map" call with "pmap" on a 2 core machine improved my
time by about 6% (the code was already keeping both cores pretty busy).

On a 4 core machine it brought the time from 6.8 seconds down to 4.7.

On the same 4 core machine, the Java version posted by the original
poster runs in 1.3 seconds including JVM launch time.

I tried use clojure.parallel's preduce as well, but on my 4 core
machine it didn't affect the time.

--Steve