On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Brian W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Another issue I had is we don't have a good blanket term for Vars,
> Refs, Agents, and Atoms. Rich sometimes calls them "reference types",
> but that term already has a different meaning in Java. I considered
> "meta-references", but then I realized that, say, the symbol pointing
> to a Var is a meta-reference---a reference pointing to a reference---
> not the Var itself. I've settled for now on "reference object" and
> "reference object type", but these are confusingly close to "reference
> type".

I would say to stick with "reference types" and just explain what is
meant by the term. I have a feeling that introducing new, undefined
terms will just confuse things more. In fact, it seems to me that both
Java and Clojure have a pretty similar definition for the term. More
or less, a reference type is a type whose value is a reference to a
data structure on the heap. I think that by taking a sentence or two
to point out the similarities and differences between the ways Java
and Clojure use the term, any confusion will be greatly reduced.

Regards,

- J.