Tim:

Rich talks about destructuring in the part about "let" on the "special
forms" page.

The discussion of functions and basic syntax is deliberately delayed
because of dependencies, e.g. evaluation can't really be understood
without understanding the reader, and explaining the reader involves
talking about lists, vectors, maps, and other types. Besides, I think
a data-to-code approach is especially appropriate in Lisp.

The decision to use cursory, abstract examples is deliberate. When
you're trying to demonstrate how a language mechanism actually works,
it's distracting when the code example is meant to actually do
something because it makes the reader untangle the what from the how.
With foo-bar code, the reader can focus on what exactly is happening
in the code without reference to any goal.

The other reason the text is example poor is that I deliberately avoid
introducing syntax before semantics. Syntax is a lot of meaningless
ascii jumble until you're familiar with the concepts being expressed.

Of course, concrete examples should soon follow once the concepts are
laid out, but I'm terrible and coming up with such examples. If you
have any examples to add, please add them yourself (it is a wiki
page). Something I don't like about examples--particularly long,
practical examples--is that they fill up the text, segregating the
core information into little chunks that are hard to browse. So
instead of putting such examples in the main text, perhaps they can go
on their own page where the main text simply links to them. Readers
can decide for themselves if they need to see more context about a
topic.

Really, though, like with any expository writing, what are needed are
guinea pigs to actually read the damn thing. Hopefully keeping the
whole text reasonably short will encourage volunteers.

Thanks for your feedback.

--Brian Will