On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Brian Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A Java reference type is basically any type allocated on the heap. The
> four Clojure reference types are particular Java reference types. My
> complaint is this is exactly the sort of weirdness that causes
> learners to scratch their heads. Not the biggest issue, sure, but this
> sort of thing is nice to avoid when possible.

First off, let me say that I've started looking through what you've
written and I really like what I've read so far, so good job and
thanks!

WRT the "reference type" vs. "reference object" terms, yes, it's
unfortunate that the "reference type" term is overloaded. However, it
seems like it is overloaded for a good reason in this case. Var's and
Ref's are types in Clojure, they are not objects, so I'm not sure that
"reference object" is accurate and that is more confusing to me than
the overloading of the term. Especially when I would expect that
anyone coming to Clojure would be reading the official docs in
parallel with your intro. and the official docs refer to "reference
types", so not using the same terminology can confuse things.

Again, I really like where you are going with this and you have
explained a lot of stuff better than I could, so you may very well be
right that someone new to Clojure will be less likely to stumble over
"reference objects". I just wanted to point out that, at least to
some, the other term carries more meaning, even if it is overloaded.

Regards,

- J.