Thanks for explaining the origin of "var" and "ref". An important
thing you should do for learners is to explain their origin of odd/
cryptic names because that makes them much easier to remember. For
example, no text on C I've ever read explains the meaning of standard
library function names, like printf and sprintf, but the name and
purpose of those functions are far easier to remember if someone
simply tells you 'f' stands for 'formatted' and 's' stands for
'string'.

I should move the bits on Ref, Agent, and Atom towards the end. Vars
have to be introduced before I can discuss namespaces, but the thread-
local binding aspect of Vars can be deferred to later.

btw, you'll see a few notes I left in the text in square brackets
where I wasn't sure on some point. If someone could address those
questions, I'd appreciate it.

--Brian Will