On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 5:24:23 PM UTC-5, Gregg Reynolds wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2017 4:55 PM, "Alex Miller" <a...@puredanger.com> wrote:
>
> I think it's your responsibility to make specs "sufficiently unique".
> Prefixing with a standard namespace you control seems like it would work.
>

> pls excuse me for butting in, but i wonder what happens when i require 14
> namespaces and 7 of them register foo.bar/baz in the global registry? who
> wins? we don't have this prob with vars; if i require foo.bar and foo.baz,
> and they both define x, no prob.  but spec namespacing is different, no?
>  the namespace you use for a spec is independent of the ns in which you
> define/specify it.  which defeats the purpose of namespacing.  clojure
> namespacing is controlled; spec namespacing is not.  which leads me to
> think that maybe spec registries should be namespaced, just like everything
> else.

Well, I completely disagree - these are the identical problem with the
identical scoping mechanism - namespace qualifiers. You should create
sufficiently unique names by using qualifiers you "control" (either by
delegating to a url that you own as the root or a trademark, etc). This is
the recommended approach for Clojure namespaces (and for Java packages),
and it's the identical recommendation for spec namespaces.

Sure, you can be deliberately harmful, but then stuff will break and not
work... so, don't do that?