On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Sean Corfield <s...@corfield.org> wrote:

> Looks very interesting. The manual install works – looking forward to
> platform installers!
>

> There are some formatting glitches in the README with nested lists.

Don't see it, let me know and I'll fix.

> Also, this line:
>

>                 Invoke: clj -Porg.clojure=/Users/me/code/
> clojure/target/classes
>

> Looks like it should be:
>

>                 Invoke: clj -Porg.clojure/clojure=/Users/
> me/code/clojure/target/classes
>

> Based on the previous example’s :dev classpath-overrides?

Yep, fixed.

> Question: is the thinking that tools like Boot and Leiningen could
> (should?) switch over to using this, instead of their own, home-grown
> Aether-based stack?

Not necessarily. tools.deps.alpha and the clj script are intended to
traverse dependencies and build classpaths. The clj script does not compile
code, build artifacts, deploy artifacts, and do many of the other things
that build tools like Leiningen or Boot do and clj is not intended to be a
replacement for any of those things.

The primary use case for clj initially will be new users or existing users
that want to build a repl-focused project without any real intent to deploy
artifacts (for example, someone using a repl to munge data or do other
exploratory work, rather than build libs or applications). Over time we
have ideas about other things we can build out from this core - I hinted at
some in my EuroClojure talk.

It will likely also be useful to build bridges for boot or lein to use a
deps.edn (possibly in either direction), but I am not confident enough yet
in how this will evolve to predict exactly how that will look. I suspect
it's a small job to make boot leverage a deps.edn file now as a source of
dependencies and probably a bit larger for Leiningen to do so if desired.
But I haven't looked at either yet. Would be happy to discuss more.

Note that tools.deps.alpha is still built on (mostly) the same stack as
Pomegranate/lein/boot with the difference that Aether is no longer an
Eclipse project and has been rebranded into the Apache Maven project as
Maven Resolver. tools.deps.alpha uses the latest Maven Resolver api
directly. Pomegranate is using an older (but quite similar) version of
Aether. I did look at using Pomegranate, but Pom used extra deps for the
dynamic classpath and was doing quite a bit more than I needed (and using
older APIs), so in the end I decided to just reimplement exactly what I
needed.