Concepts of Programming Languages by Sebesta is a book that we used that as
the text for my comparative programming languages class. I haven't read
CTMCP, so I cannot compare. However, after taking that class during my
undergraduate, I couldn't believe that it was an elective! There should
definitely be a "models of programming languages" class as a core
requirement for any computer science curriculum. My CS program required a
formal models class, but learning about machine models is very different
from learning about the history, evolution, and paradigms of programming
languages.

I have read SICP, and it is very much worth reading. I'm not sure it was as
general as Sebesta's book, but certainly a classic that any (Lisp) hacker
should read.

Paul