Hi,

Am 07.06.2009 um 14:26 schrieb e:

if someone just has a vimclojure set up for mac/tiger (and one for Windows) that can somehow be bundled, I'd be interested. I still haven't settled into any sort of reliable/intuitive environment for developing in clojure -- it's by far the biggest hurdle to everyone I know trying to get into it.

Please keep in mind: VimClojure does not claim
to be an intuitive environment for Clojure per se.
It tries to be intuitive for *Vim* users. If you weren't
exposed to vim before, you will probably have
a hard time getting started.

Similar applies to emacs+SLIME. Also ClojureBox
doesn't change that in my opinion. At a first look
you might have a quick start, but then still there
is the emacs hiding underneath. And no, I don't
think, that emacs is more intuitive than vim...

Netbeans and Eclipse (and probably IntelliJ) finally
aren't masters of Intuition also.

So what a "intuitive" environment is, mostly depends
on your background. You are a Java hacker and
grok Netbeans? Choose enclojure! You hacked the
Linux kernel with Vim? Choose VimClojure! You
have a CL background and are a SLIME guru?
Well, choose emacs.

If non of the above applies, you probably have to
take the pill and learn one the environments. If you
just want to get started with Clojure, use a simple
text editor of your liking and a repl running in the
shell/command prompt window. This works quite
well and it forces you to think about the namespace
structure etc. Friction caused by not-knowing the
environment almost vanishes.

Claiming that not having a full-fledged environment
stops someone from using the language is a lame
excuse. Neither Perl nor Python nor pick-your-lang
had a full-fledged env two years after first public
appearance. Still people managed to develop using
them.

That said, I think the current fauna of environments
for Clojure is very rich. Each fills its own niche.

Sincerely
Meikel