I had trouble installing it too. Here is exactly what my problems were
and my solutions:

NOTE: Meikel -> Thank you for writing vimclojure! I think it's great!
Please accept these issues from the perspective of someone who is
trying to help you make vimclojure better.

1. For some reason (and only with vimclojure) I used the tilde (~) in
my classpath. It simply didn't work. When I used full pathnames it
worked.Maybe the symbolic links in my path caused problems with this.

2. Nowhere is it documented what jar files must be in the classpath
for vimclojure to work. Actually, the README.txt file gives incorrect
information about this:
<quote>
To run the Nailgun server you need the clojure.jar, clojure-
contrib.jar and
vimclojure.jar in your Classpath
</quote>

As your post above shows you actually need:
vimclojure.jar
clojure-1.0.0.jar
clojure-contrib-pprint-919.jar
clojure-contrib-def-919.jar

Also, bin/ng-server is also confusing. I can see it's trying to set
jars automatically, but because it states:
<quote>
The path to a directory containing (either directly or as
    symbolic links) jar files and/or directories whose paths
    should be in Clojure's classpath.
</quote>
I thought it was a generic setting used to set _all_ jar files that
should be in Clojure's classpath. This didn't seem to have anything to
do with getting vim-clojure actually working.
I suggest something like: VIMCLOJURE_DIR -> contains build/vimclojure-
source.jar and lib/clojure*jar files.
and then CLOJURE_EXT would be for _Clojure-specific_ (vs vimclojure-
specific) jar files.

No vimclojure docs state how to create the vim help files. You
explained this clearly above. Please include that in the README:
The pipes are a marker for Vim's online help system. Run ':helptags
~/.vim/doc' after installing the Vim plugin of VC to regenerate the
tags file.

Actually, this did not work for me. Nothing happened, and I can't view
any help for |sr|.
I have ~/.vim/doc/clojure.txt
Hmm. After running :helptags ~/.vim/doc I actually have a tags file
there. Yet I can't get it to work.
Normally in VIM you should CTRL-] when your cursor is between the ||
symbols. Your instructions of CTRL-> do not work either. ???

Furthermore, your README and clojure.txt files do not give an example
on what to type to actually use vimclojure! I've been using vi/vim for
> 20 years and have never heard of <LocalLeader>. Also, maplocalleader
is badly documented IMHO as the vim docs don't even say what the
default value is or how one can even find out what the default value
is.
Please provide a small section that shows exactly what to type like
this:

1. vi test.clj (only files ending in .clj will work)
2. \sr (type the backslash once - the backslash is the <LocalLeader>)
3. That's it. You should see the screen split into two. At the top you
should see the REPL.
4. ESC (to get out of insert mode)  CTRL-W CTRL-W (switch between top/
bottom)

Again, I really like what you have done with vimclojure!

Cheers.