An IDE becomes a necessity as the complexity of your software is
increasing.

Now what's a complex piece of software ?

Presently we have 12 components in production some being several
thousand lines covering three languages (Java, Ruby and Clojure).
4 others components are in progress. Add to this that we use Spring and
a number of other frameworks for which plug ins are
available to ease the pain.

Refactoring, code searching, configuration validation, ... are
significant features we need otherwise we would spend a lot of time
to keep things in sync,

We started to work with Clojure in command line mode. However at a
certain moment it became clear that keeping Clojure
separate from the rest of the core was not the way to go. Today we are
mixing components from different languages/frameworks
in common Jars. Deployment is much more easier this way and using a
common IDE makes that possible.

If the consensus is that we need to package installers to get simple
Clojure REPLs running on
Windows and Linux in a command line window then let's do it. I think
that all the infrastructure is ready (maven like repo, ...).

Luc