On Mar 22, 1:10 am, Luc Préfontaine <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca>
wrote:
> An IDE becomes a necessity as the complexity of your software is
> increasing.
>
> Now what's a complex piece of software ?
>
> Presently we have 12 components in production some being several
> thousand lines covering three languages (Java, Ruby and Clojure).
> 4 others components are in progress. Add to this that we use Spring and
> a number of other frameworks for which plug ins are
> available to ease the pain.
>
> Refactoring, code searching, configuration validation, ... are
> significant features we need otherwise we would spend a lot of time
> to keep things in sync,
>
> We started to work with Clojure in command line mode. However at a
> certain moment it became clear that keeping Clojure
> separate from the rest of the core was not the way to go. Today we are
> mixing components from different languages/frameworks
> in common Jars. Deployment is much more easier this way and using a
> common IDE makes that possible.
>
> If the consensus is that we need to package installers to get simple
> Clojure REPLs running on
> Windows and Linux in a command line window then let's do it. I think
> that all the infrastructure is ready (maven like repo, ...).
>
> Luc
>

> On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 22:52 -0500, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Luc Préfontaine
> > <lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> wrote:
>
> >         Yes we could have a complete package to run Clojure from the
> >         shell command line but how far could someone go with this
> >         to build a workable system without an IDE ?
>
> > [...]
>
> >         Comments anyone ?
>
> > I can get pretty far writing an application in Python with nothing
> > more than good command line support and syntax highlighting in any
> > text editor. Anything extra like completions, refactoring, etc, are
> > just nice-to-haves. I don't see why an IDE is required for writing
> > workable Clojure apps.
>
> > --
> > Cosmin Stejerean
> >http://offbytwo.com
>
> > --
>
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to clojure
> > +unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
> > "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

I've noticed there have been an increasing number of solutions to
running
Clojure over the last year or so, which does leave a lot more to go
wrong
versus the default solution of just running at the command line.

If someone asked me to recommend a way to get into Clojure, I'd
definitely
suggest just running at the command line, and editing files with
notepad
or whatever. There's no real substitute for learning at least the
basics of
the class path and how to fix things when they go wrong.

This is also the absolute simplest way to go, and in my experience,
only a
bad Java install (frequently on Windows) can mess it up.

Even running barebones like this, it's easy to copy in Jar files for
gui code,
add 3rd party jars etc., whilst not having a bunch of things happening
in the
background.

Just call me Ned Ludd!
Best,