Hi,

On 27 Mai, 15:35, Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 27, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Stefan Kamphausen wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > On May 26, 11:00 pm, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> The people have spoken! The trims have it!
>
> > sorry, I'm a little late.  However, to me it is not clear what the
> > trim functions shall do.  If they become a replacement for chomp they
> > are clearly misnamed.  In many applications and languages (like Excel,
> > several SQL variants, oh, and Java, ...) "trim" means stripping of
> > whitespace characters, including but not limited to \n and \r.  In
> > contrast to that chomp stands for the removal of the system-specific
> > linebreak.
>
> I disagree that "trim" is a misnomer for this function. It may be used as
> shorthand for "trim whitespace" in some programming languages, but it's not
> universal even within CS, and it's not what "trim" by itself means in
> English. And Clojure has already shown that it is willing to break with
> established terminology in order to Get Things Right.

just a few links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_%28programming%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_functions_%28programming%29#trim
http://java.sun.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/String.html#trim%28%29
http://php.net/manual/en/function.trim.php

According to the first link in that list, a lot of languages have this
understanding of "trimming" a string.  However, that doesn't have to
be a valid argument.

Oh, and, Clojure: (.trim "   Trim me   ")
(which is really just Java, of course, but I couldn't withstand)

:-)

Cheers,
Stefan