"Nicolas Oury" <nicolas.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, having boxed by default is a very significant slowdown
>(10% on the strange program I tried, that had already a lot of annotations,
>probably 20% or more on most programs), that can never be addressed : you
>can't write annotations on every single line of your program.

Were those real world programs, or arithmetic benchmarks? Most real world
programs I see spend so little of their time doing arithmetic that making the
math an order of magnitude slower wouldn't make a noticeable difference in
overall runtime.

Which puts making numbers primitives by default squarely in the realm of
premature optimization.