Hi Chas,

2010/7/5 Chas Emerick <cemer...@snowtide.com>:

> On Jul 4, 2010, at 4:10 PM, Laurent PETIT wrote:
>
>>> I know talk is cheap and beggars can't be choosers, etc., but FWIW I
>>> would prefer to have something close to the "default" mode but with tab (or
>>> some other key)
>>
>> The default "reindent line" keyboard shortcut in Eclipse is Ctrl+I.
>> Would this be acceptable to you ? I chose Tab because emacs did this,
>> and I found this easier to type than Ctrl+I, given that we may type
>> this quite a lot ?
>
> A remarkably small point, but I'd strongly suggest aligning default key
> shortcuts for common features with the defaults of the IDE in question,
> Eclipse in this case.  All of the IDEs have very capable keymappers
> built-in, so personal preferences and idioms from unrelated environments
> probably shouldn't be relevant.

It's interesting that you're saying this, because I've tried my best
to keep with Eclipse standards whenever possible (and when I was aware
such a standard existed).
For the Tab story, currently tab is not "grokked" by the "command"
system, but rather directly by the editor. But I could define both Tab
and Ctrl+I (the eclipse's way of reindenting, though I find it pretty
hard to use on a regular basis) for reindenting the current line.

Hmm, it seems that people are still separate in two camps concerning
this feature ... :)

> As a tangent, does anyone else find the default structural editing shortcuts
> fairly painful, e.g. overriding Mac defaults for goto-end-of-line,
> select-next-word, etc?

On Ubuntu, they are somewhat aligned with their corresponding meaning
in other structure based editors. If you can come up with a better (as
in approved by other Mac users) set of default keyboard bindings for
Mac, I would be glad to change these defaults, no problem. But since
I'm not a Mac user myself, it's up to you to be precise (what replaces
what) about the new bindings.

Regards,

--
Laurent