On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:15 AM, Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:
>> So maybe it's best to use the Java convention after all?
>> It has been proven to scale, is widely used and plays well with
>> whatever else is running on the JVM, which are strong points in its
>> favor.
>
> I still don't buy it. The company I work for changed its domain over 4
> years from contiteves.com over contiautomative.com to continental-
> corporation.com and maybe its soon schaeffler-continental-automotive-
> group.com or whatever. Should I always touch each and every code
> module to fix the package names?

On top of that, I've taken over maintenance of several projects, some
of which were started by people who don't even use Clojure anymore.
Luckily they didn't use the com.my.domain namespace convention.
Projects outlive peoples' interest in them, and they certainly outlive
domain registration periods.

> Just to understand the problem (honest questions; I don't know the
> answers): How many open source projects are out there, which have the
> same names? Is a clash in project names, that likely?

Here's what I do: pick good project names[1]. Seriously. Spend some
time thinking it through to find a word that's unique and still
distinctive. This can be hard (naming *is* one of the two remaining
difficult problems in Computer Science), but it's worth doing for
other reasons anyway. Do your homework to ensure that nobody else is
using that name. If some other project comes along later and clashes,
that's their fault, and it can be resolved at clash time.

-Phil

[1] - The one time I didn't do that was with clojure-http-client, and
I ended up getting bitten by an unexpected feature (since disabled) in
Clojure 1.2 that prevented all my functions from being rebound.
(http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets/271-determine-direct-binding-policy-and-controls)