On Aug 31, 2010, at 2:35 PM, fin wrote:

>> The concept of the One-Style-To-Rule-Them-All is just childish.
>
> Have you read "Style is Substance"?
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=74230

No, I hadn't, thanks for the link.

I tried to read the whole thing but stopped after reading what he considered to
be "logic".

Premise #2 and #4 were introduced as facts yet consisted of 100% subjective
opinion, that is, I think in fact quite questionable.

I can rip them apart if you'd like:

Premise 2: There is not now, nor will there ever be, a programming style whose
benefit is significantly greater than any of the common styles.

All you have to do is take one look at the blood that has been spilled over
this topic to see how untrue this statement is.

People get very passionate about their preferred style, and if you ask them to
write in another style they will complain and cringe and claim that some such
or other capability of theirs is being hampered.

He is making an objective claim about something that is totally, completely,
subjective.

Premise 4: For any non-trivial project, a common coding style is a good thing.

Relevant quote: "having several folks hacking on the same code with conflicting
coding styles introduces more pain than any single style imposes on any single
person."

Here he introduces the concept of "conflicting coding styles" without
explaining what the hell that is. I have seen many projects that have different
code style interspersed throughout, yet how they were conflicting is beyond me.
This is yet another area where he confuses subjectivity with objectivity.
Whether or not a code style is in so-called "conflict" with another is a
completely subjective phenomenon that depends on the observer.

In fact I regularly use different code styles within my own code, and they are
in no way in conflict, in fact, to me they very much appear to work together in
harmony. Some scenarios lend themselves to one style, while others lend
themselves to a different one.

Further, he doesn't really treat the word "project" with the sophistication it
deserves. A code "project" is a rather complex thing. A "single" project may in
fact be composed of multiple, disparate projects, written by different authors.
How he can claim that "Every project I know of has a style" is beyond me and
leads me to question how observant or aware he is of the code he has used, for
practically every significant project that I've used, participated in, or
created has relied on the integration of various other bits of code and
libraries written by different authors with different styles.

My ability to not complain and adapt to understanding their style has not hurt
but helped me as a programmer.

He is right about one thing though, and that is that so long as style is not a
matter of language syntax, there will be people who bring up this discussion
again and again because they are for some reason or other incapable of handling
a different style of code, just like some time ago white people in America were
incapable of allowing blacks to drink from the same drinking fountains as they.

Therefore there are actually two solutions to this problem. One of them is
apparently "easy", and the other is hard.

Either you:

1) Mandate code style to be a part of the language's syntax.

or you:

2) Grow up and learn to accept the reality that some people think differently
from you.

It seems to me that the very spirit of LISP leans towards the second solution.
LISP is, after all, a very dynamic, open, and extensible language. It does not
mandate that you use very many special forms or constructs or keywords. It even
allows the creation of new languages within itself.

Such as spirit of freedom and openness is what I love about LISP, and why I
think Mr. Arnold is mistaken.

- Greg