On Aug 31, 2010, at 5:26 PM, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Um, read the explanation: he's talking about productivity and code
> quality. He didn't say people didn't care about styles, or weren't
> passionate about styles. Which means you haven't addressed his issues,
> just your straw man.

There is no straw man, I understood his point fully.

People choose various styles for various reasons, and those reasons include
productivity and code quality.

I listed many reasons related to productivity and code quality in a blog post
describing the reasons some choose to trail their parenthesis:

http://gregslepak.posterous.com/on-lisps-readability

It is also interesting to note, that among the responses to that post, it was
brought up that some prefer to stack their parenthesis because it
"compactifies" their code, thereby letting them see more code per-square inch
of screen real-estate. They mentioned that this could be very useful if, for
example, you're in a situation were you don't have a large screen to work on
(i.e. a netbook).

I think that's a very valid reason to prefer stacked parenthesis. It's rational
and it relates to productivity. More power to them. I don't use a netbook
though and usually code on a large monitor, so I can write using trailing
parenthesis and get the added benefits that I mentioned in the post. To each
his own!

As someone once observed, programming is very much like painting or other
artistic endeavors.

It would be a tragedy if The State ordered Picasso to make his paintings more
realistic, ("Yes, we can see how you might imagine that to be a building, but
We say it has to be done this way."), or to use a particular kind or brush or
stroke.

There is always controversy when someone steps outside the wall of How Things
Are Done. But that is what makes life interesting and worthwhile. The same song
played over and over eventually loses its magic.

So there are both practical and philosophical reasons to embrace the existence
of diversity in code style, and of all the languages out there, it would be
ironic and most tragic if the language that facilitates the most freedom of
expression, were to be hijacked by the Style Police.

- Greg