On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 11:57:23 -0400
David Nolen <dnolen.li...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org> wrote:
>
> > Yup - the goal is simplicity. Robustness is important, but I expect
> > the web server to take care of that. What I'm really expecting to lose
> > here is performance.
> performance?

Yup:

> And looking over your later post on using apache + cgi. 6, 4, 2 is for a
> *very* high performance HelloWorld that can envolve sanely over time
> (5000-7000 req second on a naive benchmark on a new-ish laptop). Can't say
> that much about serving bash shell scripts over apache.

Right. Delivering real performance isn't simple :-). The thing is, the
same thing works for python, or perl, or any number of other
things. Those you can switch to mod_<language> or an external CGI
daemon running embedded <language> or similar things to get
performance.

On the other hand, tossing a CGI shell script onto a heyu installation
to read an outside thermometer is a perfectly reasonable thing to
do. I don't expect even 10 requests a second for the temperature on my
porch.

   <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html