Mike,

If you are happy with cgi and if we posit that clojure is a compiled
language and leiningen is the same as make. The I submit the following
bit of fluff:

At a prompt:

$ lein new hw
$ cd hw
$ lein deps

Then edit project.clj to look as follows:

(defproject hw "0.0.1"
  :description "The smallest hello world that will work."
  :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.2.0"]
                 [org.clojure/clojure-contrib "1.2.0"]]
  :aot [hw.core]
  :main hw.core)

Then edit hw/core.clj as follows:

(ns hw.core
  (:gen-class))
(defn -main [& args] (println "Hello World."))

At a prompt:

$ lein uberjar

And create the following shell script hw.sh

#! /bin/bash
java -jar hw-0.0.1-standalone.jar

I'm sure you can wire the shell script into your apache. And this
isn't as short as a shell/python/perl script that does print or echo.

I also fear this is descending into perl golf, but I fancied having a
crack at this anyway on a brain fried day.

cheers,
Bruce