On Sep 9, 10:15 pm, gary ng <garyng2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM, Isaac Gouy <igo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Is there any point speculating about this as outsiders?
>
> > It was available - Data.HashTable seems to be copyright 2003.
>
> >http://ogi.altocumulus.org/~hallgren/Programatica/tools/pfe.cgi?Data....
>
> Huh ? point ? it was just a casual comment, no point was intended. And
> I have read some comments by Don that what is in the shoutout is way
> faster than Data.HashTable

If you knew there was another option why write "I doubt there is any
choice for Haskell" ?

> >> And Data.HashTable also use some mutable array thing so it is still not
> >> the idiomatic Haskell of everything is immutable.
>
> > afaict idiomatic is everything referentially transparent not
> > everything immutable, as in - "I needed a halfway decent mutable
> > collection type – having a properly tested mutable collection that
> > actually performs well would be a godsend."
>
> how can you assure that(let's put aside the under the hood things
> where it is done in C) if you break the assumption that value can be
> changed.

Reading the first paragraph "Introduction to Uniqueness Typing" of
this paper should help you with that question -

http://www.st.cs.ru.nl/papers/2008/vrie08-IFL07-UniquenessTypingSimplified.pdf

> BTW, it seems that to verteran Haskellers, the speed of Data.HashTable
> is not a concern to them as they said they don't see the need of
> that(mutable hasktable) in their usage. There seems to be a bug(as in
> it is slow) filed for this package for quite a while but no one even
> bother to attempt to improve it.

I'm not going to speculate about what unnamed "verteran Haskellers"
have or have not said.

Read the bug report and you'll see that the root problem was GC - do
you think changing GC is a quick fix?