On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:03:22 -0700 (PDT)
Meikel Brandmeyer <m...@kotka.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 9 Sep., 20:46, Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-googlegroups.
> 620...@mired.org> wrote:
>
> > The first problem with that is that this stuff seems show up
> > *everywhere* in Javaland. It's not just web apps, it's pretty much
> > anything.
>
> You just lost me completely with your argumentation. I wrote a small
> desktop utility (simple problem, simple solution, simple program)
> which is distributed to different locations in the company. It works
> on Windows and Unix w/o adaption to the system. Download jar and
> double-click / execute via java -jar. It works without library version
> hell, complicated Makefiles, system differences and other shenanigans.
> I'm quite willing to pay more complexity upfront to have it easier in
> the end.

Ok, let's see how this goes:

With simple things are simple tools, for a simple problem with a
simple solution and a simple program, the solution goes like this:

1) Write program in chosen unix-friendly interpreted language.
2) Distribute program text file.

Users can then run it via double-clicking (mac & windows), running it
directly on the command line (mac & unix) or - under extreme duress -
running it via the interpreter on the command line.

As far as I can tell, to do the same thing with Java tools, the steps
are:

1) Write program in chosen language that runs on the JVM.
2) Compile program to class file(s).
3) Use some tool to create a manifest file.
4) Run jar to create jar file.
5) Distribute jar file.

Users can then run it via double-clicking (mac & windows) or via the
interpreter on the command line (mac & unix). There is no option to
run it directly on the command line.

Possibly some tool will do steps 3 and 4 in single step for you.  So
the Javaland tools take at least twice as many steps, and deliver a
solution that's harder to use in some cases. Of course, I'm not as
familiar with Javaland tools as I am Unix tools, so maybe I got it
wrong. If so, *please* tell me the better way!

> It is obvious that Clojure doesn't fit your needs. Then simply don't
> use it.

Wrong. It may be that the Java infrastructure that Clojure runs in is
baroque enough that I won't be willing to use it. Then the same would
be true of any language running on the JVM. On the other hand, a
Clojure that ran on, oh, Parrot just for instance, wouldn't have any
of these problems.

   <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html