Hi,

On 10 Sep., 10:27, Laurent PETIT <laurent.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> while I admit I haven't read *all* the answers to Meikel's question in
> their entirety, what I've understood is that :
>
>   * he's not talking about clojure the language, but its ecosystem
> (the JVM host and the J2EE stuff -de facto standard for webapps)
>     => so I disagree with you, clojure *may* fit its needs

I'm also not talking about clojure the language, but about the
ecosystem. To deploy my simply (a detail, but since we are talking
about "Hello, World"...) clojure (a detail, could written in groovy,
scala, java, ...) program I used gradle (written in Groovy, useful for
other JVM stuff), several maven repos and the JRE (part of the JVM
environment). I just packed everything in jar distributed it around
the world and it worked in a heterogeneous environment without further
support. How much simpler can it get?

What I actually wanted to point out: there is no "simple". "simple" is
highly subjective and talking about "simple" in absolute terms is a
mistake.

>   * AFAIK the state of the art for clojure hosted on the JVM is not
> fixed, so I don't see why your advice to him is to not use it.

Because it obviously doesn't fit his needs. Mike wants a simple
solution for simple problems. It seems that at the moment there is no
JVM solution that is simple enough for Mike's context. So he shouldn't
use Clojure. Or Groovy. Or Scala. Clojure being just a detail of his
problem (Mike states several times, that he talks about the JVM
environment not the language.)

When things change and complexity is reduced for his context, Mike can
re-evaluate the use of Clojure. And if the whole system fits the bill,
he might even choose to use Clojure for future projects.

Isn't that a reasonable approach?

> Beware trying too hard to defend a position which is not defendable.

I'm not defending a lost position. There are other tools which fit
Mike's needs better than clojure *at the moment*. So there is no point
trying to convince him.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't change the situation and make
things "simpler" (for some definition of simple).

Sincerely
Meikel