On Dec 18, 2010, at 8:23 AM, .Bill Smith wrote:

> While this not what tor explicitly asked about, it is worth mentioning that
> the only way to kill an infinite loop in a Clojure repl is to kill the JVM.

Is this architecturally necessary, or might someone be able to provide a more
flexible interrupt system some day?

Having spent decades in other lisps one of the things I miss most in Clojure is
the ability to interrupt a process from the keyboard, land in a "break loop"
REPL, and be able to examine the local state in which the interrupt occurred,
evaluate forms, possibly reset variables, and possibly restart the process.
This is really handy when debugging, not only for infinite loops but for all
sorts of long-running processes. I understand that in a multi-threaded
application there might be choices about which thread(s) to interrupt, but it
would be great to have anything along these lines. I also understand that
allowing for this may have a runtime cost, but perhaps it could be turned
on/off for development/deployment?

-Lee