On Dec 18, 2010, at 12:14 PM, Ken Wesson wrote:

> The two commonest causes of repl hangs are
>
> * Buggy (loop ... recur) that does not terminate
> * Repl tries to print an infinite lazy seq

Not sure what the OP's interest is but FWIW the cases in which I most often
want to break (and look around, e.g. using a REPL -- see previous message) are
neither of these. Often I'm deep inside of some long-running computation that's
not buggy in any of these straightforward senses but in which I want to see
what's going on -- e.g. maybe because some structure got bigger than I expected
and this is leading to an exponential slowdown somewhere, etc.

Perhaps some of the suggestions later in your message provide a path towards a
general "interrupt and look around" solution? That would be great.

If I may be permitted (another) curmudgeonly wisecrack, this seems to be
another area in which modern software development environments are slowly being
dragged forward to where good lisp environments were a quarter of a century (!)
ago. :-)

 -Lee