Stuart Sierra <the.stuart.sie...@gmail.com> writes:

> If your REPL implementation runs each command in a new Thread (as most
> of them do, I think) it can just stop the thread.  That won't work in
> every situation (for example, a thread blocked waiting for I/O) but it
> will get you out of an infinite sequence.

For just a plain command-line REPL on unix you can try running this
before going into your infinite loop.  Of course if something captures
the ThreadDeath exception then it's not going to work.

  (sun.misc.Signal/handle
   (sun.misc.Signal. "INT")
   (let [t (Thread/currentThread)]
    (proxy [sun.misc.SignalHandler] []
      (handle [sig] (.stop t)))))

Here's what it looks like when you hit Ctrl+C:

  user=> (while true)
  ^Cjava.lang.ThreadDeath (NO_SOURCE_FILE:0)
  user=>

Under Emacs/Slime you can achieve the same thing by hitting C-c C-b
(or M-x slime-interrupt).