Great Kevin,

you just poured more oil on the fire...

Code is not the only thing about Clojure. Getting newbies on board is
needed and if they need pointers fine with me. There has to be a place to
jump start people. This mailing is a starting point and has to be somewhat
friendly.

I myself can be very rough, my tolerance with wet ware can be very slim at
times. But I try to restrain myself from opening fire when it's not necessary.
I'll go have a drink or smash something away from public eyes if the pressure
becomes intolerable, at least most of the time.

Arguing is generally useless even when the issue has some real effects on your
life. The effects might be easier to deal with than the argumentation itself.

Try the above recipes next time or take a deep breath as you wish.

Luc P.

Kevin Downey <redc...@gmail.com> wrote ..
> great, yet another email on the list so unrelated to clojure that not
> only does it contain no code, but no reference to code. if you need to
> whinge publicly please do it on your own blog. if you don't feel like
> the clojure community is giving you the love and support you need then
> I am sure rails will take you back.
>
> Sent from who cares
>
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM, Jay Fields <j...@jayfields.com> wrote:
> > I was involved with Ruby and Rails in the early days. The Ruby mailing lists
> / conferences were always kind / helpful and the Rails lists / confs were
> always
> hit and miss. There were plenty of great Rails people, and enough jerks to
> upset
> anyone.
> >
> > I read this (Clojure) google group pretty frequently awhile ago, but took
several
> months off. I returned a week ago and after the first day I emailed Stu H. And
> said: Is <name withheld> one of the leaders of the community now? He seems
> really
> abrasive.
> >
> > Having been through this before I'd recommend a few things.
> >
> > - individually,
> > -- reword responses from: "why would you do that" to "I prefer my solution
because...".
> "that's not functional and it's ugly!" to "I believe my solution is more
> in-line
> with FP style" etc. The trick is to focus on what you are looking for (and the
> positives of the idea) instead of attacking someone else's solution.
> > -- in niche communities, once you're labeled as a jerk, you're in trouble.
People
> won't work with you. People won't answer your questions. And, people (often
unfairly)
> assume you are wrong, simply because they don't like you. You can deal with
> this
> in a large (mostly anonymous) community. In a small community it's career
limiting.

> > - community
> > -- it might be worth coming up with a few basic rules and removing people
> > who
> can't follow them. Obviously, this isn't an easy task, but it might be worth
> the
> effort.
> >
> > Also, what happened to Rich? It seems like many wasteful discussions could
> > be
> more easily put to bed by his response instead of the current "here's a video
> of
> Rich from a year ago" or "here's a link to something Rich wrote in the past"
> >
> > Or, maybe I'm oversensitive and things are fine.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > --

> And what is good, Phaedrus,
> And what is not good—
> Need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Luc P.