I think it's a pretty complex problem to solve. Although one could re-
word a statement to be polite, it's still just window dressing what
are still potentially just thoughtless arrogant statements that still
insult people within the community.
In other words, I'd rather someone say "Why would you do that? From
what I can see it's a sucky idea for reason 1. detailed,  2. detailed
and 3 detailed" as opposed to someone say "I prefer my solution -
Thank you and have a nice day".
I think you're expecting too much thinking that *everyone* is going to
do:  "I prefer my solution for reason 1. detailed,  2. detailed".
It's just not how everyone thinks.

In my humble opinion, I don't think what you're experiencing will get
any better, but here are a few thoughts:

1. You can still enjoy the community by changing your expectations and
adopting 1 single rule (which I constantly try to remind myself with
all the time):

See people in a positive light, abrasive comment or otherwise. You're
more likely to treat people with respect when you see them as
genuinely good people than if you let adhoc comments dictate your
feelings for that person.

2. With intentional over the top flare, adding to a fire..... Why on
Gods earth are we using Google groups as a community forum? It's
kinda, really, truly, sucky.
Lol :)

I mean really - voting based forums like hackernews/reddit have been
around for years.
The single most useful tool that moderators/community leaders have at
their disposal is to place value based incentives which will get large
masses following a set of expectations.

Note: I know Google groups has voting, but frankly the implementation
bites (Lol).... it does not elevate the good and drown the bad which
would allow us to read the valuable and ignore the crap.
I don't even register votes happen in google groups.

Cheers.