On Apr 19, 2011, at 1:10 PM, rob levy wrote:

> This seems great.  The $20 bothers me, not because I don't want to pay it, I
> would gladly donate this meager amount for such a useful resource.  There's
> just something in poor taste about not making this open to everyone.  And
> there's an implicit camaraderie and good will that developer communities have
> come to expect that makes this paywall seem weird and unwelcoming.  If you
> framed this as a donation, with access not contingent on donation, it would
> be perfectly fine-- and people might actually use it.

If people feel that the work is worthwhile, they'll pay, if not, they won't.  I
suspect that I'll end up sinking about a full man-month into the ontology when
all is said and done (with incremental improvements as later versions of
Clojure are released, etc) so I don't feel badly about charging real money for
that, and being honest and direct about the nature of the transaction.
Nevermind the effort around the UX, etc.

Really, I'd wish more developers would charge reasonable amounts for tools that
they work on for free in their spare time; perhaps more of them would work on
them full-time, and we'd have better tools!

Anyway, it's just a preview site at the moment -- there's no "paywall" anywhere.

- Chas