On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Alan <a...@malloys.org> wrote:
> For what it's worth, a year ago I had never touched Emacs and was
> terrified by it, partly because of the attitude of superiority Emacs
> users tend to have. But I was learning lisp, and Emacs was reported to
> be the best tool for lisp, so by God I learned Emacs. A year later: I
> still use Eclipse for Java, and occasionally for its "Team" SVN
> features, but I use Emacs for everything else. I try to hide my new-
> found attitude of superiority :).

I used Emacs fairly heavily back in the version 18 / 19 days (I had to
go look that up in Wikipedia... I actually thought I'd been using
Emacs 17 so maybe I started with it earlier than I now think), and it
was the best thing around (for the C and assembler I was writing).

Over the years, I've gotten used to other IDEs that feel more
integrated with their environment. Emacs hasn't really changed (which
is part of its strength, if you like that). Because of its association
with Lisp and the fact that so many Clojurians swear by Emacs, I tried
it again recently for Clojure but I couldn't get back into it after so
many years using Eclipse... and since I do work in several other
JVM-based languages, Eclipse was really a better fit for me anyway.
It's clearly a very personal choice tho' - I know lots of people who
don't like Eclipse and prefer IntelliJ or NetBeans, both of which I've
tried and can't get along with either :(
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."