On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Timothy Washington <twash...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting discussion. Rich Hickey and Steve Yegge recently
> weighed in on the Seajure discussion group (and later discussed on HN).
> Yegge basically takes Laszlo's position (clojure needs to start saying yes),
> while Hickey takes Nick's position.

Looking at Yegge's list of "yes" languages, I wouldn't want to use any
of them (I have in the past and did not enjoy them - or at least not
for very long). The problem with "yes" languages is that they're
"kitchen sink" languages and they end up being a mass of confusing,
inconsistent, bloated, random stuff.

However, I really don't think that discussion - nor your quoting of
Phil's note about patches - has much bearing on Lázló's original
point. The typesafe folks, apart from offering consulting, training
and mentoring (which Clojure/core already do), are putting together a
standard "stack" / platform which is mostly already promoted (and to
some extent endorsed) by the core project, with the exception of Akka
- and it certainly makes sense for Akka to get rolled in these days.

Scala is trying hard to be Java.Next() and that really means it has to
present a unified, standard "stack" to the biggest Java community:
"The Enterprise". Scala wants corporate approval and wants Joe Java
Developer to be comfortable moving to Scala for corporate / enterprise
work.

I don't think it's realistic to think that Clojure will displace Java
in those environments - Scala is quite a big shift for such places,
Clojure would be a quantum leap! Clojure is also about four years
younger than Scala so I think we have a few years of maturing and
shaking out ahead in the area of tools and libraries before we're in
the situation Scala is in right now: able to standardize on a
recommended / endorsed set of commercially supported tools and
libraries.

I like Clojure because it's light and agile. I used Scala for a while
and it feels like Java, albeit much cleaner and more powerful - and
therefore more productive. For the vast majority of what I do / need
to do, Clojure is a much better fit than Scala / Java.

Another point that has a bearing on this discussion, IMO, is that the
Clojure community seems pretty divided between Emacs and non-Emacs in
terms of tooling / environment. I don't see that ever being resolved
so I don't see how a single, standard, unified Clojure "stack" could
appear that would / could really satisfy the "mass market"...
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."