On Jun 18, 4:08 pm, Stefan Kamphausen <ska2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> these modern IDEs really do a tremendous job at organizing projects and
> providing additional information at programming time. It's just, their
> text-editor components suck.
>
> If you are a Java developer, it's probably better to stay away from Emacs.
> Should you ever get used to it, you're doomed to never be able to use
> something else, and Emacs is not particularly good at Java programming.

See, this is it. Navigating java libs, maven repositories, project
directories, xml files, et cetera et cetera is a much more arduous
task, imo, than dealing with clojure code, which I find fairly trivial
and not really needing much advanced editing features. I'm likely to
want to keep my methods short and my files small.

Strangely, I must admit that in the past I did find vim a bit more
modern than emacs and its keys generally more sensible, especially
when using shift-semicolon instead of esc. I just looked it up and vim
does have clojure support with paredit and slime. My main problem with
emacs is that most things require too many key presses, and I feel
that navigating solely through emacs multi-key keybindings, on the
advocacy of not taking my hands off the keyboard, is a recipe for RSI.
Perhaps there's virtue in using the trackpad after all. I don't know,
I'll see how it goes.

> That being said, I had my best times in front of the computer with
> Emacs/SLIME and Emacs/AUCTeX.

I had this similar situation with latex a few years ago, trying to get
myself into the emacs/auctex holy grail of productivity, and I must
admit that after a few days or weeks abandoned it for Kile, the KDE's
latex IDE, and for latex documents that are mostly composed of text I
quite liked lightweight markup languages, especially those in python
that output latex as python code is quite pleasant to read and modify.
I just simply found myself much productive with those.
http://kile.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

:-)