On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:57 AM, James Keats <james.w.ke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 18, 4:08 pm, Stefan Kamphausen <ska2...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> these modern IDEs really do a tremendous job at organizing projects and
>> providing additional information at programming time. It's just, their
>> text-editor components suck.
>>
>> If you are a Java developer, it's probably better to stay away from Emacs.
>> Should you ever get used to it, you're doomed to never be able to use
>> something else, and Emacs is not particularly good at Java programming.

Minor correction: if you get used to Emacs, you'll never want to use
anything else.  Not only that, you'll want to spend lots of time
customizing emacs. ;)  FWIW, I've never had a problem programming Java
in emacs.

> See, this is it. Navigating java libs, maven repositories, project
> directories, xml files, et cetera et cetera is a much more arduous
> task,

That's funny, dired, bookmarks, and lots of related capabilities are
one of the main reasons I stick with emacs.  Makes dealing with that
kind of stuff almost trivial.

> Strangely, I must admit that in the past I did find vim a bit more
> modern than emacs and its keys generally more sensible, especially
> when using shift-semicolon instead of esc. I just looked it up and vim
> does have clojure support with paredit and slime. My main problem with
> emacs is that most things require too many key presses

I suggest you reserve judgement until you actually learn how to use
emacs productively.  Then the misgivings you have now will probably
strike you as trivial non-issues.  One reason I like emacs is
precisely because it allows me to minimize my keystrokes easily (and
almost never touch the mouse).

In the meantime, if you're reluctant to commit to climbing the
learning curve, spend some time poking around
http://www.emacswiki.org/ to see what kind of things emacs can do for
you.  The point being that it is a mistake to view emacs as an editor.
 Vim is an editor (and a fine one, no flames please); emacs is really
a general purpose device with specialized text-editing capabilities,
along with zillions of other built-in and add-on capabilities
developed and refined over the space of at least three decades.  If
it's a programming (or admin) task, somebody has probably figured out
a way to make emacs do it efficiently and painlessly.  Even cooler,
somebody has probably figured out an innovative way of thinking about
and solving it.

If keystroke count has you losing sleep, check out
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SkeletonMode,
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AbbrevMode,
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DynamicAbbreviations (I use this one
all the time), templates, yasnippet, etc. etc.   Not to mention plain
old keyboard macros which are very simple and useful.

Don't forget http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CategoryHumor

-Gregg