On Jul 5, 7:13 am, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > No, there's no server, no port, nothing to firewall. It's just a
> > directory (~/.m2/repository).
>
> So, not actually a repository, then. :)

Well not as you're defining it :) But yes it is a repository if
repository means "place to store stuff". In particular, "place to
store jars for one project that can be effortlessly depended upon by
another project".

> One problem with that is that you generally can't *not* use your IDE's
> built in project management unless you don't use an IDE at all (vi,
> emacs, Notepad, whatever rather than Eclipse, IDEA, Netbeans,
> whatever).

No that's not right, Netbeans (and I'm sure Eclipse, no idea about
IDEA) happily creates and works with Maven projects. We have guys
working here using a range of different tools (mostly Java projects
using Netbeans and Eclipse, running on Linux and Windows) and because
we've standardised on Maven we have very few issues sharing projects.

- Steve