On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Michael Wood <esiot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6 July 2011 10:14, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry, but I think version control and, particularly, dealing with
>> edit collisions is not something you can solve as easily as just
>> slapping a lock onto each file access, or else version control servers
>> could just be FTP servers that locked their shared files during each
>> access.
>
> Maybe so, but that is all beside the point.  The point was that
> "repository" needn't mean "networked".

Maybe just "repository that isn't fragile or outright broken" then. ;)

> If the CVS clients are the only ones doing the locking, then why not?

ARE they the only ones doing the locking OR otherwise accessing the
files, though?

>> *minimum* it would seem that a real database with ACID and
>> transactions would be needed -- A to avoid race conditions (no
>> advisory locks here!), C to keep the internal state invariants valid,
>
> This is why various people moved away from CVS.  To get atomic commits etc.
>
>> I to be able to deal with edit collisions in a sane manner, and D for
>> the obvious reasons. And a suitable software front-end. And now we're
>> back to having at least one server in the mix, namely the DBMS at the
>> backend. :)
>
> Right, I agree it's best to have a server controlling access to the
> repository, but that does not mean that the concept of a repository is
> linked to having a server or a network.

No, just the concept of a reliable repository. ;)

>> If you don't have a satisfactory answer there, then you probably need
>> a real database. Of course perhaps you are clever and can design your
>> own on-disk data structures that will fail-soft in some manner under
>> such circumstances and convince yourself beyond a reasonable doubt
>> that it'll work, but if not ...
>
> CVS is an old version control system that was far better than the
> other things around at the time it was invented, but most people seem
> to agree that other, more modern, version control systems are better
> and/or more reliable.

Unsurprisingly. With apologies to Leonard McCoy:

"Non-atomic commits. Funduscopic examination. What is this, the Dark Ages?"

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true