On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Steve <stephen.a.lind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 5, 7:13 am, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > No, there's no server, no port, nothing to firewall. It's just a
>> > directory (~/.m2/repository).
>>
>> So, not actually a repository, then. :)
>
> Well not as you're defining it :) But yes it is a repository if
> repository means "place to store stuff".

I was using it in the sense typically meant in phrases like "source
code repository", as seems reasonable given the context, but oh well.

>> One problem with that is that you generally can't *not* use your IDE's
>> built in project management unless you don't use an IDE at all (vi,
>> emacs, Notepad, whatever rather than Eclipse, IDEA, Netbeans,
>> whatever).
>
> No that's not right, Netbeans (and I'm sure Eclipse, no idea about
> IDEA) happily creates and works with Maven projects.

Perhaps, but not by default. File->New->Project creates built-in
project management projects, at least in Eclipse, to judge by the fact
that the result appears to be a project to the built-in project
management functionality. :)

> We have guys working here using a range of different tools (mostly Java
> projects using Netbeans and Eclipse, running on Linux and Windows)
> and because we've standardised on Maven we have very few issues
> sharing projects.

What method was used to create the projects ab initio? Some sort of
direct interaction with Maven, followed by some kind of import into
each IDE instance? Or can one of those IDEs create a Maven project (as
opposed to a built-in project management project) ex nihilo by ticking
some box somewhere?

(The third option, that one or each makes Maven projects natively by
default or even has no distinct "built-in project management project"
type, seems to be excluded by your earlier statement of "I'd be more
confident of being able to build your project if you're using
maven/lein/cake/etc. than if you're using the IDEs built in project
management facilities".)

--
Protege: What is this seething mass of parentheses?!
Master: Your father's Lisp REPL. This is the language of a true