On Jul 18, 2011, at 11:10 AM, Arthur Edelstein wrote:

> The REPL input is the lower right pane. I think I should add some
> labels on each pane.

Ah yes -- now I see it and that works fine. Thanks also to Adam Burry for
pointing this out. As Tamreen Khan noted it's a little confusing that there's a
prompt in the upper pane while input can only be given in the lower pane... I
agree with Tamreen that the ideal thing would be for both to be in the same
pane, so it's a normal REPL that takes input and also gives output, but if
that's very difficult for some reason then I agree that pane labels would help.

>> - How is one supposed to create a new .clj file and add it to the project?
>
> Use the File > New menu.

For some reason I was missing this and only seeing the menu item for a new
project... but now I think this was just me, and that I jumped too quickly to
the conclusion that new files were to be created outside of clooj. Now I see it
and it works very nicely. I do think that a hello world walkthrough doc would
prevent others from missing this and generally help to orient newcomers to the
environment.

> Another excellent suggestion (added to issues). I think you're right
> -- arglist-on-space is very cool. Where do you think the arglist
> should appear? I think there's a tension between wanting to display it
> near where the user is typing and the need to not obscure nearby code.

In emacs and MCLIDE (and as far as I recall in other environments that I've
used, mostly for Common Lisp) it appears in a mini buffer below the editing
pane. I think that's a good solution, but anywhere else "within view but out of
the way" would suffice. I wouldn't want to put this within the edit buffer
itself, since it might then get in the way and there'd be a much higher premium
on getting the information and the way that it's displayed exactly right. Part
of the beauty of arglist-on-space is that it's often extremely helpful -- and I
tend to rely on it rather than my memory if it's available -- but there are no
bad consequences if it's not exactly perfect (e.g. because of complex argument
lists or special cases that make it hard to display the right info).

 -Lee