Am 17.01.2012 22:46, schrieb James Reeves:
> On 17 January 2012 20:46, Dennis Haupt <d.haup...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> i've noticed this since i started to work as a programmer 10 years ago.
>> programmers in general are supposed to be good at finding simple
>> solutions, but my experience is: they are not. on the contrary, many
>> suffer from their individual tunnel visions without being aware of it.
>> to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
>
> To borrow from Stuart Halloway: simplicity ain't easy.
>
> The example solutions you provide from non-programmers seem
> straightforward, but that's because they're instructions designed to
> be followed by a human being, who can infer and reason, rather than a
> programming language that is constructed around the idea of precise
> commands.
>
> For instance, "you just make pairs" hides a considerable amount of
> depth. How do you make pairs? You might select one number, then look
> for another number that is identical, but how do you ensure you don't
> pick the same number?
>
> Or what about "count how often a number is in the list". Again, it
> seems a simple thing to do, but only if you're giving instructions to
> a human. In programming there are many additional questions, like
> where to store the numbers whilst you're counting them. Do you go
> through the whole list for each number, or do you go through the list
> once and keep a tally? If you keep a tally, which data structure
> should be used to implement this?

in the end, the program must work down to the lowest level and there
cannot be unanswered questions. but take a look at the 3 solutions given
until now. in 2 cases, all i read is "do this, then that, i don't care
how". in the third, a hashset was picked. but it didn't have to be one.
any non-map-collection type would have worked here.

> It's often a lot easier to find a complex solution to a problem than a
> simple one. Simple solutions are hard work to find.

i'd say they require different strategies to find